Plan Your Move
Four Weeks Before the Move…
- Call Tomball Moving & Storage and schedule your move.
- Tour your house and decide which items should be discarded or donated to charity. Consider a garage sale.
- Call physicians and dentists. They may recommend a colleague near your new home.
- Get copies of renewable prescriptions.
- Arrange transfer of school records.
- Check homeowner’s insurance policies to see if moving is covered.
- Be sure your new home is protected by transferring fire, theft and so on…
- Transfer personal insurance records.
Three Weeks Before the Move…
- Plan to use up most food items before the move.
- Check and clear tax assessments.
- Arrange to have major appliances serviced before you move them.
- Movers can’t take aerosols, flammables, corrosives or ammunition. It’s best to use them up or give them away before you move. Propane tanks must be emptied as well as lawnmower fuel tanks.
Two Weeks Before the Move…
- Make your travel reservations for the trip.
- Notify the Post Office and get change of address forms. Notify magazines to which you subscribe. Note: You must fill out a change-of-address form for each person receiving mail at your address.
- Close or transfer all charge accounts.
- Return library books and other things you’ve borrowed. Collect things you’ve loaned, and items in layaway, cold storage, etc.
- Arrange to discontinue utilities and delivery services.
- Protect your shipment from damage by disposing of cleaning fluids, acids, caustic drain cleaners, etc.
One Week Before the Move…
- Transfer bank accounts, and ask your local credit bureau to transfer your records to your new city.
- Reconfirm travel reservations.
- Arrange connection of utilities in new home. Draw up a floor plan of your new home, and indicate placement of furnishings. It makes moving in twice as easy.
- Arrange to have cash, Cashier’s check, certified check or money order to pay the mover before unloading your furnishings.
- Set aside maps, games, snacks, flashlight, and other items you’ll take in your car.
- Gather medicines and important papers for the car trip.
- Call your local telephone company and arrange for disconnecting, or the transfer of service.
- Drain water from all garden hoses.
- Drain gasoline from lawn mower.
- Anything Tomball Moving & Storage is packing should be left in place. It’s easier and safer; for example, to pack glassware right from the cabinet it’s kept in.
The Day Before the Move…
- Put cleaning supplies, toiletries and a coffee pot in special box to be loaded last and unloaded first.
- Finish packing all suitcases.
- Defrost, clean and dry refrigerator, if necessary.
The Day of the move…
- Be on hand while the movers are loading to answer questions. Accompany driver during any inventory (if requested). Be sure to read and sign Proposal and Moving Services Contract and any addendum(s) and confirm your new address and telephone numbers.
- Make final check of every room and storage area. Make sure windows and doors are locked, keys are transferred and lights are out.
- Be on hand while movers are unloading for any questions and proper placement of your furnishings in your new home.